BLOOD SUGAR FLUCTUATIONS
AND THEIR SELDOM CONSIDERED
There are a number of those who have to contend with Diabetes that find their Blood Sugar Levels riding what appears to be a Roller Coaster! These Fluctuations are not only frustrating, but oft times disconcerting as well. This is true because there may seem to be no rhyme nor reason for the variations in readings. New studies have shown that some of the issues affecting these Fluctuations may not be considered by a lot of people. These “issues” include, but are not limited to:
- “DAWN PHENOMENON” – This particular situation occurs as a result of the body preparing for waking up. In doing so, the body releases hormones such as cortisol between 2 and 8 am. This makes the body less Insulin Sensitive, causing Blood Sugars to Spike. Lisa McDermott of the Allegheny Health Network near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, suggests that a low carb, high protein snack before bed might help curb this situation.
- Dehydration – Fluid shortages in the body may result in hyperglycemia, as the Sugars become more concentrated in your Circulatory System.
- Extreme Weather – Many Type 2 patients have noted that their Sugar Levels tend to increase, especially on uber hot days. This is true for basically two reasons: The heat affects the way Insulin is used by the body; and extreme heat tends to dehydrate the body as well.
- Insufficient Sleep – On going insomnia can manifest itself as Chronic Stress, and Stress tends to raise Blood Sugar Levels.
- Medications – A number of Medications that we take may affect our Blood Sugar Levels. Steroids, for example, which may be used for such issues as asthma, autoimmune diseases, and inflammatory conditions can cause Levels to rise. McDermott points out that even cough drops can affect Blood Sugar Levels.
- Too Much Caffeine – Caffeine is a real conundrum for Diabetics, as in some people it rises the Blood Sugar Levels and in others it actually helps control them! Since this is such a totally individual issue, it is imperative that you work closely with your Diabetes Team to see how it might affect you.
- Travel – This is especially an issue when the Diabetic flies, crossing several time zones in their journey. Things that adversely affect us here include Medication Schedules and disrupted eating and sleeping routines.
As you can see, there are a myriad of considerations when it comes to Blood Sugar Level Fluctuations. As a result, we must be vigilant in all aspects controlling our condition, and strive diligently to remove as many of these circumstances as possible.
If you, or someone you know, needs help in managing their Diabetes, please call AVEON HEALTH at 480-300-4663 to make an appointment with a member of our staff and allow them to escort you down the path to an improved quality of life for you and your loved ones! One of the very special services we provide is offered by our on-staff Podiatrist, a professional that every Diabetic should have as part of their “Medical Staff.”
This Blog was written, in great part, with information gleaned from the following sources:
10 Surprising Causes of Blood Sugar Fluctuations | Everyday Health