DIABETES: SYMPTOMS AND SIGNS
One of the reasons that Diabetes is known as one of the top ten “Silent Killers” is the fact that it can “sneak up” on us. There is no overt pain nor immediate debilitating conditions. That’s why it is so important that we are able to recognize it as soon as possible, in both ourselves and in loved ones. As a result, we have decided to share a few of the more unusual Symptoms that might indicate Diabetes is on the near horizon.
- DARK SKIN ON THE NECK – As well as the discoloration, the skin may also feel velvety or thick. It may also appear in the groin area or armpits.
- DRY MOUTH – In Diabetics this occurs because High Blood Sugar decreases saliva flow.
- FRUITY-SMELLING BREATH – Known as Diabetic Ketoacidosis, this often occurs when the body breaks down fat cells for energy.
- ITCHING – Itching occurs when Blood Sugar increases creates nerve damage, specifically in the feet and hands.
- LIGHTHEADEDNESS – While this may be caused by fatigue or hunger, it can also be the result of both Hypo- and Hyperglycemia. High glucose levels can result in frequent urination which, in turn, can lead to dehydration and Light-headedness.
- RECURRENT INFECTIONS – As Diabetes oft times weakens your Immune System, the result can be causing increased susceptibility to disease. The result may be increased Infections in the body, including but not limited to:
- Vaginal Infections
- Yeast Infections
- Bladder Infections
- Skin Infections
- VISION CHANGES – High Blood Sugar can create several Eye Issues, including but not limited to:
- Altered Fluid Levels to the Eyes
- Blurry Vision
There are some signs regarding Diabetes that we are, perhaps, more familiar with. These include, but are not limited to:
- EXTREME THIRST – This is an early warning that you may be suffering from Diabetes. High Blood Sugar can create Thirst on its own, and this is compounded by the fact that High Blood Sugar can also lead to frequent urination.
- FREQUENT URINATION – High Blood Sugar puts an “overload,” if you would, on your Kidneys which allows an over-flow into your urine.
- INCREASED HUNGER – Even though you eat voracious amounts of foods, you may find that you are actually losing weight, as the body is unable to absorb the energy that it needs.
It is imperative that if we note ANY of these Symptoms and Signs in ourselves, or a loved one, that we seek Medical attention immediately. If we don’t, some really nasty things can occur, including but not limited to:
- Irreversible Nerve Damage
- Kidney Disease
- Skin Complications
If you, or someone you know, needs help in managing their Diabetes, please call AVEON HEALTH at 480-300-4663 to make an appointment with a member of our staff and allow them to escort you down the path to an improved quality of life for you and your loved ones!
This Blog was written, in great part, with information gleaned from the following sources: