DIABETES & DIET:
THE YIN AND THE YANG
When it comes to the Diabetic, Diet oft time takes on the appearance of the famous Country song by Alan Jackson, “Everything I Love is Killing Me!” Many people have declared, at one time or another, “What I need to do is make a list of everything I like to eat and then make sure I never eat it again.” While that may not be totally correct, there are some pretty popular edibles that should be avoided, especially in access. These include, but are not limited to:
- Dried Fruit – The Drying Process results in an uber high concentration of sugar. For example, a cup of grapes contains 27 grams of Carbs, while a cup of raisins contains 115 grams!
- Flavored Coffe Drinks – While Coffee itself has numerous health benefits, including promoting a reduced risk of Diabetes, Flavored Coffee Drinks should actually be viewed as a Liguid Dessert!
- French Fries – Potatoes in themselves are high in Carbs, and then when you add the fact that FFs are fried in unhealthy oils you have a double whammy!
- Fruit-Flavored Yogurt – While Plain Yogurt is a healthy choice, Fruit-Flavored is not so much so! This is true because they are loaded with both Carbs and Sugar!
- Honey, Agave Nectar and Maple Syrup – Unbeknownst to many, these “sugar substitutes” may have as much of a negative impact on Blood Sugar as the sugars they replace!
- Sugar-Sweetened Beverages – High in both Carbs and Fructose, they should be replaced with Water, Club Soda, or unsweetened Ice Tea.
- White Bread, Pasta, and Rice – High in Carbs and low in Fiber results in high Blood Sugar levels.
As discouraging as this may appear, there is some good news when it comes to what Diabetics can safely eat. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Apple Cider Vinegar – A surprising benefit is that ACV will actually make you feel full longer! Combined with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, which is also good for the Diabetic’s health, provides you with a Salad Dressing that is both healthy and tasty!
- Eggs – Possessing a multitude of Health Benefits, Eggs assist in Blood Sugar Control; Eye Health, providing Protein, and helping you feel full!
- Greek Yogurt – Unlike its Fruit-Flavored cousin, Greek Yogurt is actually quite healthy, promoting good Blood Sugar Levels and even helps with Weight Management.
- Nuts – Due to the fact that they are low in Digestible Carbs and prove to be a source of Protein, Nuts are not only delicious but also help promote good health through Blood Sugar Level control.
- Strawberries – A low-sugar fruit that may even help reduce heart disease risk, Strawberries are one of the most nutritious fruits you can eat!
Inasmuch as our Health is important, Diabetics need to take the time to choose not only what is delectable, but that which is beneficial as well!
If you, or someone you know, needs help in managing their Diabetes, please call AVEON HEALTH at 480-300-4663 to make an appointment with a member of our staff and allow them to escort you down the path to an improved quality of life for you and your loved ones!
This Blog was written, in great part, with information gleaned from the following sources: